The library holds a number of handbooks and self-help guides for both the beginner and more knowledgeable family history researcher. These books include information regarding traditional search methods, as well as using online sources such as ancestry.com and Google.
These books aren't just restricted to Australia - they can also help you with researching your ancestors from places such as England, Ireland and Germany.
Genealogy resources on our Library Catalogue
Coffs Harbour Library has a range of resources specific to the local area, that may be of interest to the genealogist. These include:
- Coffs Harbour undertakers index / compiled by Hubert Bailey
- Coffs Harbour and District Deaths, Burials, Cremations [electronic resource] / Coffs Harbour District Family History Society
- Coffs Harbour Historic Cemetery [electronic resource] / Jan Arnett and Jan Buckingham for the Coffs Harbour Heritage Trust
- The Advocate newspaper on microfilm (1908-present)
- Newspaper Index - this index contains article citations from the Coffs Coast Advocate between 1993 and 2004. Only articles relating to Coffs Harbour and its people have been indexed.
- Picture Coffs Harbour - is a joint project of Coffs Harbour City Library and Coffs Harbour Regional Museum, and aims to digitally preserve and improve access to historical pictures significant to the Coffs Harbour region.
- Voice of Time Online - the Voice of Time oral history project is a collection of 150 interviews with descendants of pioneering families and long-time residents of the Coffs Harbour region.
- Histories of local families [search results from our library catalogue] - books written by people who live in, or have previously lived in the Coffs Harbour area, which contain biographical information.
- Australian Cemeteries Index - local cemetery records that can be accessed online include: Coffs Harbour Historic, Caring Lawn, Woolgoolga, Bucca, Coramba, and Corindi. These contain both inscriptions and images of the headstone.
- Who's buried in your backyard? project This is an ongoing project by Karen Filewood to locate and document lone graves in the Coffs Harbour LGA. Once Karen locates the gravesites, she takes photo's and a GPS reading. She then commences background research on the person buried to learn more of their family history and circumstances. This involves many hours of research as well as talking to family members, property owners and long-term residents of the area. Due to privacy reasons, the exact locations of the graves cannot be published at this time. However, Karen is willing to receive enquiries from interested parties and put them in contact with the property owners. For any enquiries contact karen by email or phone the library for further details.