Library membership is free and is available in the following categories:
- Adults – Permanent residents and ratepayers of Coffs Harbour City can join free of charge.
- Minors (Juniors) – Persons under eighteen (18) years of age can also become members (including infants), however they must have permission of a parent or legal guardian. The parent or guardian should accompany the child or young adult to the library and produce current identification when signing the responsibility section of the membership application.
- Independent Minors – Minors who are sixteen (16) years and over and who are living independently can join the library. Current identification showing proof of age and address is required.
- Outside Students – Students who attend City educational institutions (eg. CHEC) but who permanently reside outside the City area can join for the current year of enrolment free of charge. Proof of enrolment must be produced, such as a student card. Students should join as a reciprocal borrower should they meet the requirements detailed below.
- Reciprocal Borrowers – Visitors and non-residents who are current members of their local public library (in Australia) may join as a reciprocal borrower. This type of membership is free, however a current membership card from their home library is required, and staff are required to contact the home library to check that the membership is still valid.
- Organisations – Local organisations (eg. pre-schools) can join the library, however written approval from the organisation’s executive on letterhead is required, nominating who the card holder will be.
- Visitors & Non-Residents (who are not members of their local public library) – Visitors to the City and all those who do not fit into the above categories may also join. A refundable deposit is required for membership to this category.
Accepted Forms of Identification for Proof of Residence
Current identification showing the current address must be produced. Accepted forms of documentation are listed below:
- Drivers licence
- Health care concession card
- Lease agreement
- Council rates notice
- Electoral enrolment card
- Utility account notice (eg. Telstra, Optus, Country Energy) along with a credit card or Medicare card
[From Section 3 of the Library Operations Policy]